Sunday, March 28, 2010

Living Large ~ 2009

My Life as a Little Cat ~ Chapter Nine

Adjusting to change was our "MO" for 2008 and this continued into 2009. While repairs were ongoing in Galveston, we tore into the Houston house ... starting with the kitchen last December and moving through the living room and all three bathrooms this Spring.

Ike was fitting in well, spending a little time outside but mostly in "his room".



We found out that Ike didn't know how to play, so we donated one of our toys and Nan & Jerry showed him how to bat it around. Soon this would become a favorite activity for him. Later he wanted to interact with us so he would stick his paws under the door and Elvis would bat at them. Denny and I didn't get involved, but we liked to watch from the upstairs hallway.



Here we are in the office ... Jerry on the phone with Ike in his lap and me sitting in the sun, waiting for my turn.



This is a funny picture. During the construction, that went on for months and months, the three of us were "caged" in the office so the workers wouldn't accidentally let us out the front door. You can see my eyes glowing in the corner by the TV where I liked to sleep because it wasn't as noisy.



Getting some rest next to my two favorite buddies ... Jerry & Elvis.



Eating off our Tupperware risers ... not sure where Denny's was but it looks like he was straining his neck to eat off the floor.



Beautiful weather. I always enjoyed going out front for a walk around. Never went as far as Big did, but I liked to keep an eye on things.



My friend Elvis and some pretty flowers.



Remember when I got this heated bed last fall? Since we share our things, I let El borrow it for his nap. This is not a dignified look for a pedigreed Maine Coon, but he was comfortable and I was sleeping in his spot on the ottoman.



This was a GREAT present!



Here's a photo of the remodeled powder room with Elvis in the sink. This is where he spent almost the entire Hurricane - except it was the "old" sink.



Me and Denny looking out the front window.



The remodeled master bath, which was so much easier for me to get around and use my litter boxes.



Of course, lots of naps in 2009!



With my arthritis, they didn't want me going up and down the stairs in the night, so there was usually a barricade to keep me safe. Elvis and Denny could fly over the divider, but I would sit at the end of the bed and wait for Jerry to wake up and take me downstairs at 5 each morning. I also liked to sit here before I went to bed ... just watching the boys and whatever was on TV.



In May, we were able to return to Galveston. It had been 8 long months, but the minute my paws hit the carpet I wanted to go out on the balcony. Here I am checking out the remaining damage that first Friday night.



Me and "D"



It was great to see my fountain again and drink the fresh water. Denny was disappointed to learn that the tree frogs did not survive the Hurricane ... we've never seen them again, but Denny looks for them each time we turn the fountain on.



This was a funny prank we pulled on Nan. One day, she let our food bowls get empty and Elvis brought his toy mouse and dropped it in the bowl. Sometimes you have to send a message ... Godfather style!



That Elvis is such a comedian!



We spent a week at the beach last Summer, just doing what we love to do.



We had visitors ... this is Luke.



And Zach ...



Catching some serious ZZZs ...



The sunset looked like a ball of fire dropping behind the horizon.



Here are a few photos of our favorite things to watch out the front windows ... baby doves



& squirrels!



When the weather was good, I could usually be found messing around with the boys on the patio.



In August, we had two exciting bat adventures. The first crawled through the bathroom vent and dropped into the bathtub. Thanks to Nan for walking into the bathroom to brush her teeth and turning on the light at the exact right moment to freeze the little devil in his tracks before he could take flight and interact with any of us.

About 3 days later another bat flew right in the back door when Denny & Elvis were outside one evening. That was an experience! Eventually it "took a dive" under the closet door in the upstairs hallway and fortunately he chose the closet with the ironing board stored against the door so he couldn't crawl underneath.

Jerry is now an expert at the "safe bat transfer" method for bat removal!



Napping with Elvis. It's hard to tell where the pillow ends and the Elvis begins!



In September, we said good-bye to our trusty old Pathfinder. I "rode shotgun" on the console between the two front seats for almost 8 years ~ great car, but this was another year of change.



The console in our new car was even wider ... sometimes I would sit with Nan, but mostly I rode with the boys in the car kennel.



Here we are on our maiden voyage. Hard to see us through the mesh, but we're all in there!



You've seen me walking my cat steps before and here's another picture from the day they arrived. It took a few practice runs before I felt secure using them. They sure did increase my independence ... you know how I love to nap on the big chair.



Happy Halloween!



And then, for the second year in a row, it snowed! Here's a shot of our house with our Christmas decorations and all the plants covered.



I love this picture of me walking in the snow with the hot pink flowers in the background. Only in Houston!



Headed back home because my paws are getting cold.



Santa baby! (maybe a tiny bit cranky)



Without a doubt, the "Barbie fireplace" was the greatest gift we ever gave ourselves! This thing was magic. When I would walk up, look inside and then lay down warm flames would suddenly appear. I could lay there for HOURS soaking in the heat.



You all know I love a pretty Christmas Tree and this year it was lovely. A special tree ... it would be my last.



It was a very good year, indeed.

~ Little
(January 1988 - March 18, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment