Friday, June 4, 2010

Ike's Vacation

While the boys were napping inside, Ike enjoyed some time out on the balcony. It was interesting to watch him as he first went outside and looked and looked towards the marina, where he lived before Hurricane Ike permanently linked him to us.



Inside house cats must stay clean!



Ahhhhh ...



Don't know what he was thinking, but I'll bet he was happy to see his old "stomping grounds" from a shaded porch, attached to an air conditioned townhouse!



Look at that sweet "yoda face" and ragged ears.



Just before the long weekend, I had taken Ike to see Dr. Rose and his blood test results on Tuesday weren't good. Unfortunately our little FIV+ cat is showing signs of reaching the "end stage" of his disease and now has a VERY low white blood cell count. Monday he'll have his remaining two teeth cleaned, as avoiding infection or exposure to disease is critical for him. She'll do another blood test to see if the antibiotic shot gave him a boost in his numbers or if we're facing an unrecoverable decline.

Since his FIV+ status has not been an issue - absolutely no symptoms - and his outward health has been great, I had really put the immune deficiency situation out of my mind. His weight is good and he has actually gained a bit over the last 10 months.

My "veterinary experience" has really been focused on kidney failure and geriatrics, but I'm trying to educate myself. I've read that his numbers are nearing, but not yet at, the "6 month point". It all depends on his eating and ability to avoid catching a cold or other infection.

It's a very sad situation for both Jerry and me as we've grown quite fond of him. I hope that he is able to maintain a comfortable "lifestyle" for a good while.

No comments:

Post a Comment