Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Elvis' Wrist

You all know that taking Elvis to the vet is an experience for EVERYONE, but we've gotten a system down that seems to work. A happy pill, his Thunder Shirt and I handle him unless it's absolutely necessary for someone at Memorial 610 Animal Hospital to lay a hand on him - other than Dr. Rose.

Last November, I noticed a pea-sized knot on the side of Elvis' right wrist (or whatever they call it in vet-speak). It was sensitive to the touch and felt as if part of the joint had come apart ... he was walking on it, but would stop and flick it in the air from time to time.

X-rays revealed damage to the bones - we have no idea what caused "the traumatic injury" - but the radiologist said it was healing. Dr. Rose felt that the bulge was cartilage that had been displaced from the joint and that we would just leave it unless it became a problem for him. They wanted to see him again in a few months to check the progress.

We went back in February and I thought I'd share some photos ... first the x-rays.

Getting these x-rays was a bit of a chore ... like the first time, I had to position him on the table exactly where he needed to be. Blythe would then step behind me and slowly put her hands where mine had been holding him - making sure he couldn't see her - and then I would leave the room while the other vet tech got the shot. Then I would come back to move him for the next view.  I'm happy to report that it went well and we got identical shots to November for comparison.

From the top ...

From the side ...


Exhausted and relieved to be heading home!



And when we got home, Denny gave him a quick "cat scan" and ear washing to welcome him back from his ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment