Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Thing of Beauty

They say that art is something pretty to look at, but that design achieves a purpose. After months of misery, I think the transformation of this bathroom is BOTH!

Everyone knows the bathtub story, but there's more. When the plumber forced us into an under-mount tub with solid surface tub topper, the depth of the tub area required us to purchase an entire slab of granite instead of a 1/2 slab as we had done with the living room and Jerry's bath. So granite guy says "well, you might as well replace the vanity counter tops because you're going to have the left-over granite and if you don't use it we'll just leave it in your garage until you need it." So I say, "are you telling me I can replace the vanity top for the same price?" They don't speak much English but they got a BIG LAUGH out of that!


Ceiling was raised to maximum height, wallpaper removed, new light fixtures and a beautiful framed mirror installed to go along with the new vanity top. Since we were changing everything else to Antique Bronze, we replaced the faucets on the vanity and had to order FIVE faucets to get two with a similar finish. By this point, I was immune to these "quality control" delays.
Juan found an unused phone line behind the wall of the old bathroom, so he hooked up a phone jack in case I get so comfortable in here that I don't want to leave to answer the phone! Of great importance is the placement of the toilet that now allows me to put the cat box where it is hidden. I cannot begin to describe the level of pressure I had to exert on three different plumbers, Wilmer the granite guy, Juan, his father AND his father-in-law to make this happen.

I'm still working on a towel solution ~ most likely a standing towel rack that will go on the back of the tub-topper against the tile wall. Blanca rolled up my extra towel so it looks like a spa. She cracks me up!

Wide view of tub ...



We're still waiting on a longer shower arm to put the shower head fully over the tub and a few other small things, but the bathroom is basically finished with the exception of the shower panel. Dauphin Sales (Melanie Brown) will be installing a sliding glass panel that will store behind the wall of the cabinet and pull out to prevent water from spraying onto the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment