Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I Love You, Steve Jobs ... Wherever You Are!

Sony moved us from 8-Track tapes to cassettes and the Walkman, Palm Pilot moved us from Franklin Day Planners to into the digital age, but nothing compares to how far Steve Jobs moved us.

From the Walkman to the iPod, from the DOS operating system to user friendly iOS and Safari - which actually inspired Windows (sorry, Bill Gates!) - from big bulky computers to the Macbook Air and eventually to the iPad, from smart phones to iPhones - which incorporated the iPod and allowed us to carry our music, photos, fun applications and cell phone in one device. The man was a genius.

In 1999, I jumped into the digital age with one of the first wireless Palms that kept me on track and served as my entertainment while traveling alone. I stayed with the Palm platform until the iPhone 3GS lured me away and I have never looked back. Migrating years of data into the iOS took some planning, but worked without a hitch.

With the launch of MobileMe, a paid service allowing you to automatically sync data between multiple "iProducts", I took the plunge and placed my precious data under the management of Jobs' newest software. It is said that Steve Jobs was never happy with the MobileMe experience, but I loved it. Which brings me to today.

Last fall, when I upgraded my trusty, but well-worn BrewerETC iPhone 3GS and my personal cell phone, a 4-year old Motorola Razr flip phone, I moved my data to the new iOS5 operating platform but with so many new iPhone 4S users signing up for iCloud I was hesitant to leave MobileMe for the new, supposedly better, iCloud program. With everything working great, it wasn't a top priority to risk an error in another conversion.

Days, weeks and months go by and recently, both Jerry and I have been getting reminders about the end of MobileMe and how we need to migrate to iCloud. So last night I moved Jerry's data and it was a snap. Tonight, I decided to kiss MobileMe good-bye and once again trust "the cloud" with my digital history.

I am happy to report that MobileMe just migrated SIX THOUSAND, FIVE HUNDRED and TWO calendar entries and SIX HUNDRED EIGHTY SIX contacts to iCloud without even a moments hesitation. In a fairly short time, my iPad is back communicating with my business phone and they are both communicating with my personal phone and all three of them are now automatically communicating with my laptop - a new benefit with iCloud. I'm telling you, Steve Jobs was a genius!

Now, we'll see if it's all still there tomorrow morning, but tonight I LOVE YOU STEVE JOBS!

No comments:

Post a Comment