Friday, November 18, 2011

About the Ear ...

We've had continued success with the ear and while it's not standing up, it's no longer infected. This is a blessing after everything he's been through.



My sweet boy ...



The inside of the ear looks much better, with "the bulb" having contracted a great deal over the last week. There is still a fairly thick, hard area pulling the end of his ear over, but it is encouraging that the cellulitis (inflammation of the connective tissues and subcutaneous layers of skin) is improving and the ear is "thinning out".



Obviously, we've got crinkling going on here, but I'm trying to remain hopeful that he will not end up with his ear completely "wadded up", as it has been described to me. I've had to abandon my "Breathe Right Nasal Strip "splint therapy" because he reached up there on Monday and ripped it off - along with the fur on top of the ear. It's great that his fur is growing back in because he sort of looks like E.T. without it!



We have twice-a-day ritual with the "treatment pillow". He's so worn down at this point, he pretty much just lays there until I'm finished with whatever medical process is due at the time. Pam was over yesterday and he could barely muster a hiss when she reached for his ear ... ;)



One of the ways we're working on the internal inflammation is holding his special, kitty-sized cold pack on the ear twice a day, while I gently massage and straighten the ear. I have no evidence that it will work, but I keep thinking that if I can take a little pressure off the ear, and prevent or slow that scar tissue from contracting, that we may have a better cosmetic outcome.

As crazy as it sounds for a cat to like having something cold held against his ear, he almost seems to enjoy it. I think the ear was so hot and painful, at the peak of the infection, that it was a relief to cool it off.



And this "tail attitude" is a signal that the photo session is over and his ear is quite cool enough - thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment